Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blue Moon




There's an upcoming blue moon tomorrow. Some of my pagan friends are doing something extra special. I don't think there's anything particularly special as I'm getting away from using the calendar month. Here are some definitions of blue moon:

Literal
A literal blue moon occurs when the (not-necessarily-full) moon looks blue due to dust or other foreign objects in the atmosphere. One may see this type of blue moon after a volcanic eruption.

Seasonal
This blue moon occurs when there are 4 full moons in a season. Equinoxes and solstices mark the beginning of the season. The 3rd full moon is the blue moon.

Calendar
The modern definition is the 2nd full moon in a calendar month. It really isn't all that rare; it happens about every 2.5 years or so. It is this definition that is used for tomorrow's full moon.

Zodiac
If you're into astrology, the zodiacal blue moon is the 2nd of 2 full moons in the same sign.

Regardless of which blue moon you prefer, all full moons are magical.

PS I wonder why new moons aren't as special. If so, what would they be called?

1 comment:

  1. I"m hoping we have a clear night so we can see the blue moon tomorrow night :) If you check out my blog, I have some pics of a GREAT full moon last night. http://quietmind279.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete