Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Chalica - Day 3

Principle of day 3

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations

I know I've told my story of how I found UUism. I wanted something with fellowship, not dogma and rules. My UU congregation is small, mostly older folks, and mostly white. It's comfortable there. A neighboring congregation is larger but I haven't visited for services (too early for me). At some point I volunteered that I was Buddhist and Pagan. No one looked at me like I was a devil worshipper. To my knowledge, there are a few other Pagans in my congregation. The majority of members have a background in Christianity.

I'm currently intrigued by Muslim religion and why they pray 5 times a day. I found out that this happens in Zoroastrianism as well. This may be a ritual I will try to integrate into my practice sans the handwashing and prostrations.

As you light a purple candle, think about accepting, not just tolerating, others. This does not mean that you have to agree with someone but "agree to disagree". Research a religion that always seems to get bad press. Try to find a member of this faith in UU to learn directly from an adherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment