Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Midsummer Ritual

Happy Summer Solstice and for my Southern Hemisphere peeps, Happy Winter Solstice! I finished my ritual last night. For some reason I couldn't concentrate. Next year, I may revise it. I think what I will do is to have a basic ritual form then adopt it to the specific event. Maybe I'll make that a QotD. Ok so without further ado, here is my ritual. I have used wording from the Internet with changes to suit my needs. Feel free to do the same. Note that my directional correspondences are based on my geographical location and like the Egyptians, I start my calls from the North.

Theme / Purpose / Introduction
The longest day of the year indicates the beginning of summer for the mundane world but is the middle of summer for pagans. School is out and we can look forward to family outings and vacations.

Circle Casting
Before the circle is cast, let all who are present be here of their own free will. (Omit this line if performing solitary ritual.)
With this wand I cast this circle to mark this place as sacred, a world between worlds. (If you are right-handed, cast the circle clockwise. If you are left-handed, counter-clockwise. More on this in another post.)
Goddess I request that you bestow favor upon these elements of earth and water. Cleanse this place to free it from all that is unwholesome. (Walk circle 2nd time while sprinkling or spraying salt water.)
Goddess I request that you bestow favor upon these elements of fire and air. Purify this place to make it ready for the attending powers and spirits. (Walk circle 3rd time while waving incence stick or censer.)

(For each of the directions, light the appropriate candle. If you are doing a group ritual, all in attendance repeat "Hail and welcome!" after you.)

Opening the directions
North
Midsummer greetings to Geb, god of earth. I call upon you and the spirits of the north. I ask for your blessing of strength and stability to aid and  empower this rite. Hail and welcome!

East
Midsummer greetings to Tefnut, goddess of water. I call upon you and the spirits of the east. I ask for your blessing of wisdom and imagination to aid and empower this rite. Hail and welcome!

South
Midsummer greetings to Sekmet, goddess of fire. I call upon you and the spirits of the south. I ask for your blessing of warmth and passion to aid and empower this rite. Hail and welcome!

West
Midsummer greetings to Shu, god of air. I call upon you and the spirits of the west. I ask for your intuition and creativity to aid and empower this rite. Hail and welcome!

Center
Isis, Mother of the Universe, grace us with your divine presence. Descend from above, arise from below, expand from within and fill this space with your love. Hail and welcome!


Body of Ritual
The summer solstice occurs when the earth's axial tilt is closest to the sun. Though the solstice technically lasts only a moment in time, the term is also refers to the entire day in which it occurs. This is the longest day and shortest night of the year.
Right now Mother Earth is already travelling away from the Sun. Let us take this time to bask in her energy.

(Meditation or dancing / drumming preferably held outside. Family can share plans for upcoming months.)

A Litha Prayer for the Earth - author unknown
Great God, Father of the Earth,
Shine down on this, your strongest day.
Blessed Goddess who gave us Birth,
Bless us who honor your ancient way.
As Summer's light falls to the ground,
lending crops and trees it's power,
the Summer winds blow warm and round,
touching the corn silk and the flowers.
We give you thanks, our Mother Earth,
We praise you, fire of the Sun.
We dance this Solstice day with Mirth,
from dawns' first light 'till the day is done."


As our ritual comes to a close, we ask the Goddess to bless our food and drink. May we never hunger; may we never thirst. (This is the abbreviated Cakes and Ale part. Since we are having a cookout and are eating after the ritual, I decided to change it slightly.)

Closing the directions
(Normally you would use a candle snuffer to extinguish the candles. One must never blow them out as it is considered disrespectful. Today my ritual will be outside and I have tiki torches for the occassion. We will leave them burning until the cookout is over.)

Center
Great Mother Isis, Lady of life. I thank you for your many gifts bestowed upon us. May your love and light remain with us always. Stay if you will; go if you must. Hail and farewell.

West
We bid the west adieu.Thank you for sharing your intuition and creativity with us. Stay if you will; go if you must. Hail and farewell!

South
We bid the south adieu. Thank you for sharing your warmth and passion with us. Stay if you will; go if you must. Hail and farewell!

East
We bid the east adieu. thank you for sharing your wisdom and imagination with us. Stay if you will; go if you must. Hail and farewell!

North
We bid the north adieu. Thank you for sharing your strength and stability with us. Stay if you will; go if you must. Hail and farewell!

Conclusion
The circle is open but never broken
may all beings be free
may all beings be peaceful
may all beings be happy
may all beings be safe
may all beings awaken to the light of their true nature
may all beings be free

No comments:

Post a Comment