Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Final Arrangements and the Afterlife

As no one has been there and back with conclusive evidence, I'm not sure what to think about the afterlife. I do think that the spirit separates from the physical body at death. What happens to the spirit, I don't know. However, the physical body is ultimately just a shell. It has been scientifically proven that all elements in the body can be found in the universe or more close to home, in the earth's soil.  We are all star stuff or children of the earth.

I want my final arrangements to make it easier for my physical body to return to the universe. I request that no artificial means of preservation be applied to my remains. No autopsy.

  • Eject me into space straight into the sun. However, due to the extreme cost, this probably wouldn't happen.
  • Cremate me on a funeral pyre. They did this in the old days but it's is probably illegal in most states. This is the only way to make sure that my remains aren't mixed with someone else's.
  • Cremate me via convention methods. Unfortunately, crematoriums spew chemicals into the air and there's always a little bit of cremains left from the previous individuals.
  • Green burial. Burial with no chemicals, body is wrapped in cotton and decomposes naturally.

Are your final arrangements influenced by your belief or non-belief in the afterlife?

No comments:

Post a Comment