Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pagan Blog Project - L is for Lunar sabbats

I was posting in one of my Facebook groups about the upcoming sabbat Samhain. A member said that she celebrates the lunar sabbat, in this case on the new moon closest to the solar sabbat. The term lunar sabbat seems to be an oxymoron. Sabbats refer to the days that divide the year (solar) into 8 equal parts and esbats are the divisions of the month (lunar) also known as the lunar phases. I suppose a lunar sabbat technically occurs when there is a lunar phase on the same night. I'm not sure how often that occurs.

Perhaps the sabbat can be celebrated on the closest corresponding esbat. With new moon = Yule, waxing crescent = Imbolc, etc., one can add sabbat themes to the lunar celebrations. By my calculations, lunar Samhain is Oct 30th and (solar) Samhain is Nov 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment