Friday, July 6, 2012

Pagan Blog Project - N is for Nude, Not Naked

What's the difference, you may ask? Generally these terms are used interchangeably. Inevitably, when discussing paganism, one wonders about the nude/naked or skyclad rituals. I will be defining nude and naked as it relates to these rituals. Nude simply means without clothing. No embarrassment, just appearing in the state that you came into this world. Naked implies a sense of helplessness, embarrassment, and/or forced nudity. Skyclad is being nude outside.

I try to do my rituals nude when I can. It's part of loving my body with all its lumps and bumps and stretch marks. If you believe the bible, Adam and Eve were without clothes and unashamed of themselves before they "sinned". Pagans do not believe in original sin, so going nude is getting back to my roots, so to speak. Something about being nude is very freeing.

2 comments:

  1. I love strutting around the house nekkid ;) , it is freeing as you stated. However, walking around nude outside with a bunch of others, isn't my cup of tea. Is it modesty, embarrassment, or just plain being a prude, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got to that point either, sis. Maybe one day. The closest I got to being nude in front of others was wearing my 2pc swimsuit. I kept telling myself, oh when I lose weight but that never happened. So couple years ago when I went to Ocean City, I wore my swimsuit that I ordered from a website that specializes in big women swimwear. Yeah people stared, some good stares, some not but I did it for me. And I felt good. Next step will be to go to a nudist beach.

      Delete