Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Deck Review: Witches Tarot

Not fond of this deck either. I vow to get a preview of decks at Aecletic Tarot before purchasing any from now on. This deck is based on Qabala. I'm not familiar with that so that should have been my first hint that this deck and I would not get along. The LWB (little white book) does not describe the Qabala ties to Tarot but instead refer you to The Goddess and the Tree and The Witches Tarot, Books I & II of the Witches Qabala respectively.

I'm annoyed at the way the deck comes in the box. Instead of being separated by suits, the cards are sorted by numbers (all aces, twos, threes, etc.). The pictures show a mix of medieval and modern people but none of color. Court cards deviate from the standard meaning. From the LWB, "They are used to modify the next card dealt. If you deal a court card, the next card should go on top of that court card and they should be read together." The court cards are all clones of each other; for example, all of the kings are in the same position, just different hair color and clothing depending on the suit. Swords mean fire and wands mean air, opposite from what I'm used to.

Suits: Wands, Swords, Cups, Pentacles
Courts: King, Queen, Prince, Princess
Reversible: The back is a picture of a pentacle so not reversible. However the LWB includes reversed meanings.
Card on deck packaging: The Seeker (The Hermit)

The deck that I have has black borders and is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment