Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pagan Blog Prompt: Labels

PBP QofW

In this day and age, we have names for everything. Wicca is no exception to this. What magickal labels do you give yourself? For example, I am an eclectic, Wiccan, Witch. What do your call yourself? A Wiccan? A Witch? Pagan? What makes one a Wiccan and not a Witch? Or in order to truly understand how magick and force of will works...are you automatically a Witch as well, even though you may not cast circles? Where do we draw the lines with the labels? Why have you chosen the labels you claim?

I started on my journey calling myself eclectic but I rarely use that term anymore. Not because I have an aversion to it but I've been trying to focus my practice. I like bullet points so I will use them here. Seems like I've done this before on a previous post but oh well. Labels are fluid; if one day I decide they don't fit me then I will change them. So, the following are terms and my definitions that I use to describe my spiritual practice:

  • deist - I believe in a divine entity(?) that I call God/dess. Instead of using someone else's proof found in holy books, I use science and nature.
  • agnostic - Literally means "not knowing." I do not know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God/dess exists.
  • Pagan - in its broadest sense, Pagan refers to all religions outside of the big 3 - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. My childhood religion was Christian. I no longer believe in the bible or that Jesus, if a historical person, had divine origins.
  • Wicca - a specific path of Paganism. Catholic is to Christian as Wiccan is to Pagan. Just as all Christians aren't Catholics, all Pagans are not Wiccans. I am not Wiccan. From what I understand, you must be initiated into a Wiccan coven but even this is disputed internally. 
  • Buddhist - Some say Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion. I was introduced to SGI, a Nichiren Buddhist sect, by a former co-worker. There are many branches in Nichiren Buddhism; sadly all are professing to be the correct path. I never formally joined SGI but I have their liturgy book as well as the one from Nichiren Shoshu. I've modified the prayers to fit my needs. Although I don't do gongyo like I should, I consider myself an independent Nichiren Buddhist.
  • eclectic - Dictionary definition is "deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources." So, yes, my Pagan path is eclectic. I think spirituality should be tailored for the person. If I find something that doesn't work, I can replace it.
  • solitary - I practice alone. I do not belong to a coven. I've thought of starting a training coven one day. It would be free from degree systems and all would be welcome.
  • witch - I consider myself a witch. I believe that magic is energy, is real, and can be proven with science and quantum mechanics.
  • Unitarian Universalist - the resulting merge between 2 liberal Christian religions. Nowadays UU is made up of many beliefs with Christianity being a minority. I feel like UU is more like a fellowship than a religion.

So there you have it. I'm a solitary agnostic deist Buddhist Pagan witch who attends a Unitarian Universalist church.

Oh one more thing - I don't know if this has a word but if it does let me know - I believe that all God/desses are One. The separate God/desses from each culture are just facets or parts of the whole. In contrast, others may believe that each separate deity is indeed separate, that there are thousands of deities.





No comments:

Post a Comment