Saturday, September 28, 2013

Banned Books Week - Pedophile's Guide

I was reluctant to do a post on this book for several reasons. But I don't want to not talk about a book because I do not agree with its content and find the subject matter deplorable.

The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure was banned from Amazon.com after they caved to the public. The book was self-published. I believe that Amazon should have not caved to the public. After all, even though the content is illegal, the book itself is protected under the 1st Ammendment. From the information I could gather, Pedophile's Guide is written as fiction although I hate to wonder how the author did his research.

I'm a fan of murder mysteries. These stories are fiction (I hope) and frequently give details about killing, kidnapping, rape, drug use, etc. Yet, there is an abundance of murder mysteries available online and in stores. Let me be clear: I am not advocating any illegal actions that may be described in books. Where do we draw the line? Who determines which books are banworthy and which are not?

No comments:

Post a Comment